Monday, March 5, 2007
A bit of a boasting post
I will admit that I was pretty proud of myself one day last week. I have been answering the "Ask a Librarian" emails for the LIS/Education/Distance Ed. librarian while she has been out all month on sick leave. A faculty member email asking what the impact factor is for a particular journal. To be honest, I had no idea what she was talking about. It sounded to me like something that would be in Web of Science somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I will admit, I then Googled it. Two of the first things that came up were on the ISI website, leading me to believe I had been on the right track to begin with. The first one gave a definition and talked about how the impact factor of a journal could be calculated. I saw how I could use W of K to go that, but it kind of made my brain hurt a little. Luckily the second hit showed where in W of K to get the impact factor that they calculate for each journal in their database. I had just been looking in the wrong place. Yes, I was quite proud - I had panicked a little but when I first saw the emailed question, to tell the truth. I emailed the faculty member back with the info and she was quite happy, so the reference transaction had a happy ending. :-D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment